The Nevada Gaming Control Board has opened an inquiry into accusations made by gamblers against Resorts World Las Vegas.

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on email
The Nevada Gaming Control Board

The Nevada Gaming Control Board is investigating charges that Resorts World Las Vegas President Scott Sibella lied about their relationship at a recent regulatory hearing and that a restaurant on the Strip is half-owned by a convicted criminal, according to an aggrieved gambler.

Brandon Sattler’s statements in a sworn deposition in connection with his defense of a multimillion-dollar bankruptcy fraud litigation were investigated by Kristi Marusich, deputy chief of the control board’s enforcement division, on Thursday.

“We have nothing for comment yet other than we will take a good look into the allegations and evaluate what we have,” Marusich told The Nevada Independent.

Last June, the $4.3 billion Resorts World Las Vegas opened as the Strip’s first all-new hotel-casino in almost a decade. The 3,500-room hotel is owned by Genting Berhad, a Malaysian company that hired Sibella, a long-time executive with MGM Resorts International, to manage construction and operations in 2019.

The charges center on Sibella and David Stroj, a convicted money launderer and unlicensed bookmaker who owns Tacos El Carbon, a small diner in Resorts World’s Plaza level. The claims were initially revealed in the Independent on Tuesday and Thursday by columnist John L. Smith.

Officials at Resorts World did not respond to messages left on Thursday.

The property previously refuted claims leveled against Sibella’s moral character and denied any ownership in the restaurant by Stroj, who is now being investigated by the US Probation Office for breaking the terms of his three-year supervised release after serving 18 months in federal prison. Stroj allegedly gambled in Las Vegas without his probation officer’s approval.

Resorts World said Stroj’s father is a manager of the restaurant and the property “did a complete due diligence on the tenant prior to entering into the lease agreement.”

Resorts World and Sibella might face disciplinary procedures before the Nevada Gaming Commission if the Control Board investigation results in a formal complaint against the resort.

Control Board member Brittnie Watkins addressed Sibella about a subpoena he got to give a deposition in a court situation involving Sattler during a March 5 hearing into the licensing of Sibella and officials from Genting. The subpoena was later withdrawn since Watkins did not mention Sattler in her query. In his deposition, Sattler stated that he worked at Tacos El Carbon.

“I guess there’s a person that they’re investigating on a fraud, well, he threw my name out there that I know this person,” Sibella said at the time. “I met the person twice. He’s been a customer for 20 years. I don’t know him from Adam. He’s done no work at Resorts World.”

Categories:

Tags:

Share:

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on email
Email
Nassima Azmzm

Nassima Azmzm

Leave a Comment

0 responses on "The Nevada Gaming Control Board has opened an inquiry into accusations made by gamblers against Resorts World Las Vegas."

Leave a Message



Qasiknow.com is born out of the necessity of sharing information and knowledge with everyone in the gaming industry who is interested in learning, growing, discovering different points of view and ways of doing things.

Upcoming Events

top
Copyright ©️ Qasiknow.com | All rights reserved.
X